So, as my last post explains, I got to spend four days in San Diego, CA for a work trip and I realized I left one very funny story out of my previous post.
As part of this conference, my work sponsored a mixer at a bar and grill a few blocks from the resort where we stayed. As I was sent on this trip to assist our meeting coordinator, I went with her went to the mixer to make sure everything ran smoothly. Everyone was given 2 free tickets for drinks. I politely declined mine and settled in near the food.
My company helps promote electric reliability across the Western U.S. and we answer to several higher powers, one of these higher powers had sent two of their employees to this meeting, so they were included in the mixer. The one was more mature, very nice and professional. The second one was in his late 20's or early 30's was single and cocky as all get out. I'll call him "Ryan."
Towards the end of the evening, (translation, nearly everyone is now 2 alcoholic drinks in) Ryan comes up to me and asks, "Where's your cocktail?"
Here is how the rest of the conversation goes:
Me (with a polite smile): "Oh, I don't drink."
Ryan: "Oh, yeah, I should probably drink less."
Me: (internally) What do I say to that? Yeah, you probably shouldn't drink at all. . . umm, I'll politely nod my head. (Just realized I've used the word polite quite frequently in this post, I hope I was as polite as this indicates)
At this point there is a slight pause in the conversation, just long enough to begin to be awkward.
Ryan: So, where are you from?
Me: Salt Lake
Ryan: (internally, but visible signs of pieces falling into place cross his facial expressions) Doesn't drink . . . from Salt Lake City . . . Snap! This girl is a Mormon! (out loud) Well, it was nice to meet you. (Forgive the creative license I took here, but I can't actually read minds, so the above is my best interpretation of Ryan's thought process.)
At which point, he proceeds to turn away and walk off. And that folks, is how I get picked up in a bar.
Have a fabulous Friday!
Enjoy,
Mailee
Bwahahaha ... it's amazing how the word "Utah" does that to people ;)
ReplyDelete