29 August 2014

Delightfully Wicked!

So Broadway Across America brought Wicked to Salt Lake City this summer and I was able to go twice!

After being invited to go with a friend who had tickets, I was somewhat skeptical going into it for several reasons, which I will list for you:
1- I don't like the film The Wizard of Oz - do you know what it is about . . . because I don't?!
2- I could never get into the books by L.F. Baum.
3- I tried to read the book Wicked and was a disturbed before the end of chapter 1 and never finished it.
4- I never really cared for the music. ( I will now clarify that this statement is no longer true.)

Let me tell you, I had completely misjudged this musical.  Wicked takes a story and fantastical world that made very little sense to me and transforms them into a really moving story about a girl who refuses to be bullied by anyone and does what is right even when others think it is wrong . . . and she gets the guy. What can I say, I'm a romantic at heart. P.S. I promise that is the only spoiler that I will reveal in this post.

Told ya she got the guy :)

Definitely adding to the story was the outstanding performance by the show's lead, Emma Hunton.  She gave Idina Menzel a run for her money.  Her performance of "Defying Gravity" is one of the most moving musical experiences of my life. (I've re-written that sentence several times to try and make it "not sappy", but it hasn't worked, so just know it is sincerely meant sappiness.)  I think Ms. Hunton has quite the career in front of her.
Emma Hunton  as Elphaba
In my opinion, Wicked really has it all.  It pulls all the right heartstrings, but has enough jokes to keep things from getting too heavy.  After it is over, you'll leave wanting to call your best friend and tell them how much they mean to you.  Hopefully, you'll also leave with the goal to be kinder and more accepting of those who are different and with a renewed desire to look for the good in others.

What also made my Wicked experiences so amazing were the people I got to share them with.  First, I went with my dear friend, Kari, which was a treat. Unlike me, she hadn't Wikipedia-d the play
and had no idea how it ended, so she was excited and surprised by the story: pure and utter joy to behold!

After seeing it with Kari, I knew that my sister, Kenra, definitely had to see it, because she has loved the music for forever.  So we scrounged up some money, and bought tickets (not next to each other, because when you are economical and buy them mid-way through the show's run, you take what you can get). I loved it just as much  the second time around and of course, Kenra is now even more in love with it.

Wicked has finished its run here in Salt Lake, but if ever the opportunity comes your way (especially if Ms. Hunton is performing Elphaba), you should definitely see it.  It is totally worth it.
One of the best (and funniest) scenes of the play!


No comments:

Post a Comment