11 June 2014

A California Adventure


Hello Friends,

I know it has been awhile, I'm not really sure where all my time went (oh, yeah, that Netflix binge might account for some of it), but I wanted to share with you my latest adventure, which definitely transported me out of my normal wilderness.

My little sister, Kenra, graduated from high school this year, so per family tradition, we all got to go on a trip.  She chose California, so for the second time this year, I got to go to San Diego. After three days in San Diego, we spent three days in Disneyland.

The whole crew was in attendance, Mom, Dad, Rexton, Carson & Janae, Kenra, and of course, me.

San Diego Temple
One of the highlights of the trip was that we spent the morning of May 26th at the San Diego Temple.  Mom, Dad, Rexton and I did an endowment session and Carson, Janae, Kenra and Dad did baptisms.  The San Diego Temple is really beautiful and it was a fabulous way to start off our trip.  





Journal writing at the temple
Our visit to San Diego also included the Mormon Battalion Visitor’s Center in Old Town San Diego, the San Diego Sheriff’s Museum, The Whaley House (which is reportedly haunted),  the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park and obviously some time on the beach.  Rexton may have found his calling: beachside ukulele performer.
Rexton playing his uke


At Mission Beach

Cheetah
Hungry Giraffe
Baby & Mama Elephant
Our first day in Disneyland, Janae & Carson bought Kenra (and all of us) a character breakfast in the park.  So we headed over to the Plaza Inn just off Main Street, U.S.A to enjoy our meal in the presence of Minnie, Chip & Dale, Captain Hook, Tigger, Eeyore and the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella.

It’s a good thing we had a hearty breakfast, because after that we ran around doing everything we possibly could in Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure.  I was able to ride Indiana Jones three times, Radiator Springs Racers twice and Pirates of the Caribbean twice also. Star Tours is great, although our 2 randomly generated rides ended up being almost the same (oh well). I did Tower of Terror, so I’ve crossed that off my bucket list and I never have to do it again.   I loved Cars Land.  It is almost possible to believe you’ve walked into the universe of Cars (and I got to eat at Flo’s V8 Café!!!!!).  California Screamin’ was great, but as I’m not really a roller coaster kind of gal, once was enough.  Soarin’ Over California won my heart when we drifted over the orange groves and part of the simulation included the scent of the oranges.  Mom (surprisingly) loved Toy Story Midway Mania even though she got the lowest score both times we went on the ride (hint: go for speed not accuracy).

The last afternoon in the parks, we all divided up to do the things we wanted to get in before we left, so Kenra and I rode the Pinocchio ride (just because), explored Sleeping Beauty’s castle, and rode the train all the way around (and we loved the displays in the tunnel between Tomorrowland and Main Street, U.S.A.). And we got our silhouettes cut by the neatest lady at the Silhouette Shop on Main Street.

Kenra and I also forced our way into the closed snack shack at the Grand California Hotel to each get a Chip and Dale smashed penny (what’s a vacation without a little trespassing?!) and then finished off the night with fresh, hot beignets from Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, courtesy of Rexton.   

Hope this post finds you well and enjoying your own summer adventure!

Love,
Mailee

(P.S. I got tired of trying to artistically arrange the photos, so here are the rest. . . )

Minnie and the Boys
Minnie and the Girls

In addition to breakfast, I also got a proposal from Dale.
Kenra and I in Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Me, Eeyore, Janae & Kenra
Kenra, Rexton & I on Radiator Springs Racers
Dad, Mom, Mater, Me, Rexton and Kenra







The Silhouette of Me and Kenra

No comments:

Post a Comment